Content strategies are critical for Web success, especially SEO and as such – it’s a valuable commodity. In many organizations, it can be difficult to get content produced, so it’s very important to get as much mileage as possible from every piece of content that you develop. The ultimate goal is to get your content “out there” and generate as much awareness as you can for the piece, which will drive targeted visits, links, “mentions” on social media, etc.
Here’s some tips for getting extra mileage out of your unique content.
- Post on your site / resources section
- Re-write for placement on other sites
- Edit again and put in article directories
- Post a summary on your blog and link to the full article
- Tweet your article, get RT’s from your co-workers, followers, friends, family, etc
- Make sure it makes its way to your Facebook page
- LinkedIn: update your status with a link (like Twitter), use groups to publicize
- News release?: Is your new content worthy of a news release? (read – is it newsworthy?) If your piece is a study, has unique research, is a useful tool or process or a learning piece (like a white paper), then you should consider putting together an optimized release announcing the content and at the very least, use a free or inexpensive distribution service.
Some additional ideas:
- Leverage distribution channels for unique “alternative” content (see my post “SEO Tips for Universal Search”)
- Pictures? Flickr is an ideal distribution platform
- Get involved – there are likely Flickr groups related to your industry, submit your pics
- Make sure they make it to Facebook. You can connect Flickr to Facebook, and of course there’s albums on Facebook
- Video? YouTube, Flickr, Vimeo and others
- Again – share it via your Facebook page
- Presentation? Slideshare… If you have the skills, make it into a video and also post it to YouTube
- And again – share it via your Facebook page
Are you noticing a theme here? Nearly all of these tips require that you have a basic presence on the most popular social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, etc). Laying the ground work in social media and populating your profiles with unique content will help your content get seen and attract links.
Build a plan for making sure your content gets seen and make sure you execute every single time!
What did I miss?
Learn more about Amplify Interactive’s search engine optimization (SEO) services