How do you choose where & how to focus your “social” energy? New tools and applications are released or updated nearly every week. And just when you think you’ve mastered one arena, a new one crops up. So many resources, so little time. How do you make the most of your networking efforts?
It comes down to quality versus quantity. Here’s a short list of things to consider when trying to build “street cred”.
- Profiles: Can’t stress how important this is! This is an easy, free way of promoting yourself. Think of it as a free yellow pages listing.
- Make yourself known: You want to show an authentic interest in your target contact – not stalk them. Take the time to vote or rate their content before making unsolicited contact.
- Use IM: Another great tool. An instant connection that can take you from just being an avatar on someone’s screen to being a real live human being!
- Be real: If you’re going to contact someone about a possible link, consider commenting an article they submitted. Taking the time to show a genuine interest in the person you’re trying to contact goes a long way.
- Scratch my back & I’ll scratch yours: Consider submitting their article and giving them a little PR. But remember, your reputation is associated with theirs now – quality, quality, quality.